1. The group hover around a bleak fire as the convoy in which they are traveling is halted. They watch as a group of men try to free a draped wagon that has been stuck in the mud. A heavily cloaked figure watches from the side, accompanied by a young woman. Much of the convoy continue trekking through the thunderstorm, the sprawl of Khalsbrad in the distance with the Tower of Solastrum looming in it’s heart.
2. The group attempts to help free the wagon. The wood splinters and breaks. Surrendering the cargo, the cloaked figure blows forth a stream of intense fire, consuming the wagon completely in it’s destructive blaze. They converse briefly with the young girl, who speaks on behalf of her master, the Silent Seer.
3. The rest of the convoy continues on and shortly after an hour they find themselves within the city limits. The group follow a group of traveling performers to a large hostelry. They are invited up for tea with the Silent Seer, who has rented the owner’s quarters and wears a stone mask over his face and retains the heavy black robes in spite of the oppressive heat in the room. The young girl introduces herself as Aleanna (Ah-lee-ahna).
4. Madrygos is the benefactor of Khalsbrad. He shaped the city of Khalsbrad, creating a thriving metropolis. About a year ago, he closed the gates of Solastrum, which had served as a place of knowledge and higher learning. Since then, he hasn’t been seen. The city has fallen into decay, with the powerful families grasping at what power they can in the absence of Madrygos.
5. Aleanna sets the group on the task of routing out Madrygos, who is said to have gone mad alone in his tower. She gives the group a crystal orb, which when shattered Madrygos’s lair will open a dimension door, allowing the Silent Seer to assault the wizard.
6. The group settle in at the common bunks, conversing a bit with some local dwarves. They’ve made to vacate their longstanding claims here in Khalsbrad for more lucrative regions. They state that the honest business has been displaced by the area’s political Houses, and their constant vying for territory.
7. The group rests, then set out in the early hours before dawn towards the looming tower. They are confronted by a group of thugs, attempting to exact a bridge toll. The group wipe them out completely. They are little assaulted as they continue on.
8. They come to the curtain wall, holding within the overgrown grounds and the tower within. They scale the wall and move quickly toward the steady stream of water flowing forth from the sub floors.
9. Finding a pathway and navigating through the extremely hot steam vents of the underway, they come to a large platform causeway. The rushing water sets in motion several large turbines, the sound of clanking gears and grinding machinery is everywhere.
10. Several Mephistos, each a uniquely crafted apparatus, rush forward billowing a thick smoke that seems not to dissipate. They claw at the heroes, and one is able to align their targets and spew forth a blast of intense flame. As each is destroyed, it leaves behind a deadly smoke that obscures it’s area. The heroes continue.
11. The group come across a large workshop with shelves filled with scrap and machinery. They find a key, which opens a large gate behind which they find a disassembled iron golem. They observe it’s head seems to only have 1 large eyelet rather than the standard 2.
12. The group continue up and find themselves in a huge hall with turning machinery in every direction. They continue up a spiral staircase, judging themselves near the ground level. The complex is immense, though hallways marking the Observatorium Cosmicarum, the Grand Auditorium and the Master’s Library and the have been shut off by immense doors.
13. The group find a pedestal in the huge columned entrance way. Using the strange key, a bronze cage is lowered by a huge chain from above. Using it to gain access to the upper terrace, they find themselves on the exterior of the tower, looking over the city from high above. They follow the overlook around to a long bridge that crosses over to the tower’s side pillar.
14. At the end is a huge pavilion with a raised platform suspended at it’s apex. Witnessing an frail old human pouring over a leatherbound tome and gesturing absently with his free hand, they bring forth the Seer’s crystal orb. They shatter it, calling forth the Seer with an explosion of magical energy, the masked figure charging forward and immediately engaging in intense combat with Master Madrygos.
15. As they do so, a loud tinny voice breaks over the area. -Unauthorized personnel in the area. Neutralization to commence in 5 … 4 … 3 … … … -. The group readies themselves. Large spheres fold out from below, rotating with a pillar of light that shoots a ball of light at the intruders. From the center of the platform raises a large cylinder. Steam billows from protrusions as the panels slide away revealing Thul’Zoat, an immense mechanical centurion.
16. The group engage, withstanding the centurion’s pommeling strikes as well as it’s attempts to crush them with large gears pulled from below the mesh floor of the platform. Eventually the group is able to halt it’s onslaught, bringing it low.
17. The group witnesses the conclusion of the magical melee above them. The Silent Seer used his element of surprise to lash out early at Master Madrygos, it had bent the battle in his favor. The masked Seer holds the exhausted Madrygos suspended by his collar as the Master of the Tower turns to the group
… you know not what you have done… The Seer reaves the life from Madrygos, holding in his hand the energy before dropping the lifeless body from the platform.
18. The Seer then pulls off the stone mask, revealing a face contorted by rage, his lips sewn together with strands of leather cord. He absorbs the essence, glowing with an awful light. With a flick of the hand, another portal opens from which Aleanna walks through.
19. The Seer floats down from the platform past the group, moving silently towards the tower main. Aleanna addresses them with downcast eyes. -You make leave with what you carry, but know that if you linger too long, my Master will view it as an act of hostility and cleave your soul from this dimension. Averting her eyes, she follows behind the Seer, leaving the band of heroes to claim what they can and flee the tower forever.